Camus's "The Fall" and Haiku

After reading "The Myth of Sisyphus," I went on to read Camus's three novels one after another. The Stranger is deliberately provocative. The Plague goes beyond provocation and arrives at the realm of perfection. The Fall speaks in the ultra-subtle voice of the judge-penitent who is also the tempter. The narrator in his pleasurable anguish reminds me of the unnamed Man from Dostoyevsky's Notes from the Underground. All this reading leaves a very powerful impression on the mind, the chief part of which is an ethical imperative: do least harm.


on a leafless twig
a caterpillar of snow
will change to nothing

Comments

Ms. said…
What a fine commentary and haiku Jee. I was going to 'share' it on Face book but realized the site requires an affidavit of agreement to view 'adult' material so didn't because some of my friends would find that objectionable. I know your reasons, yet I wish it would be otherwise. Love the post.

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Thumboo's "Ulysses by the Merlion"

Steven Cantor's "What Remains: the Life and Work of Sally Mann"

Goh Chok Tong's Visit to FCBC