8 things Brent tagged me to tell about myself:
1. I chipped the back of a front tooth on the carrying handle of an M16 rifle during national service training. Your tongue will only feel the bump of the dental filling.
2. Of grandparents, I knew only my mother's mother and my father's father. Po-po ran a mahjong den in Chinatown after her husband died. Grandfather was a champion walker. He also walked out on his family to take up with someone else.
3. I've never been to China (including Hong Kong, excluding Taiwan).
4. When I was about seven or eight, I accidentally stepped on my pet chick. I tried to stuff the innards back but the chick died still. The only thing I kept after that was a bean sprout plant in a blue jelly cup. Don't over-analyze this.
5. I was a good boy when growing up, which is why I remember the crimes and punishments. My mother rubbed chili on my tongue when I told lies. When I was ten, I was caned in school for swinging on the wooden scaffold erected for a paint job. Two strokes. On the butt.
6. I had malaria in Kenya.
7. My biggest regret about Oxford is over my decision not to attend graduation, despite the fact that my family flew from Singapore for the occasion. I reasoned (!) that the Latin ceremony would be boring.
8. My first love was Darren Strange. There. I've named my love.