Readings so far...

I've done a few readings this year, and more to come, so I am thinking of a way of keeping track of things . . .

Jan 26 Brownestone Poets, at 5th Ave Restaurant & Diner, Brooklyn.

Jan 28 Poetry Project at St. Mark's Church, East Village

Feb 4 Saturn Series at Nightingale Lounge, East Village


My workshop with Marie Ponsot at 92nd Street Y began again last night. I submitted my "Equal to the Earth" manuscript since I have not added enough to "The Book of the Body" to justify another discussion of it. The original ten students have dropped to six, so now each 2 1/2-hour session will be devoted to one manuscript. Mine is coming up for discussion next week. Hopefully I will get a lot out of the class. Last night, Marie read something by Robert Louis Stevenson, but I could not place it. Going down the river with trees on both sides etc.

Jane read a good poem about the rippling aftershocks of maternal love. Kevin read a John Hollander poem from "The New Yorker." I did not understand why Hollander chose "March" in a line "the dead March of a dry winter" when depicting winter's freeze. The (unintended) pun is distracting, and the temporality of a month seems to contradict permanent stillness. Audrey told of being at a picnic in the Lakes District with William Empson. He was working on some math equation the whole time, and was served and chivvied around by his formidable South African wife.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Thumboo's "Ulysses by the Merlion"

Steven Cantor's "What Remains: the Life and Work of Sally Mann"

Goh Chok Tong's Visit to FCBC