Poem: "Changing Countryside"

We heard tonight we got the apartment. I wrote this rough draft to mark the occasion.


Changing Countryside

"Yes, this will be our house,
today I’m here to see it..."
—Alda Merini, “Roman Wedding,” trans. Susan Stewart

The ceiling is too high for the apartment
to make a cage, the living room too wide
to touch the heaving tips of feathered span,
the light too good not to be natural light.

But this high door locks out the open world
and locks security in. In closets, wings
will soon be folded, wrapped, and put away.
The window above the bed is made of steel.

I turn a faucet and, in the falling light,
a river runs to where it drains. I turn,
a beech opens its palm to act a desk.

And you, who by the light of metaphor
are the birdcatcher, are a bird, by me,
singing about the changing countryside.

Comments

This is lovely.
Jee Leong said…
I'm glad you like it.
chuannie said…
Love this piece. Feels like a wonderful dream where the things in the house are organic and alive. Very Nice.
Jee Leong said…
Thanks, chaunnie. I'm glad the poem conveys those feelings.
Eric Norris said…
Really, really splendid, Jee. This is one of the most delicate and touching poems you have written so far. It takes the notes of music you were working with in "For Lonely" and completes the theme.

Excellent.
Jee Leong said…
Eric,
You raised my opinion of this one.
Eric Norris said…
Whenever you make envious, I know you are on to something.

Cheers!

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Thumboo's "Ulysses by the Merlion"

Steven Cantor's "What Remains: the Life and Work of Sally Mann"

Goh Chok Tong's Visit to FCBC