Poem: "On My Way to a Photo Exhibition of Trees in New York City"


Photo by Benjamin Swett; cover image for his book New York City of Trees



On My Way to a Photo Exhibition of Trees in New York City


I’m walking into the wind.
Now I know what the sail
feels, the tiller in another’s
hand. Now I know the sad
flapping of clothes pegged
to a short line. The street
sign quavers on its metal
stem like a cymbal struck.
It is not a human sound,
and the black coats, feet
scratching the sidewalk,
will strain in their drift
toward a human sound,
but, as Dante observed,
before he heard the love
that Francesca da Rimini
bore for her husband’s
handsome young brother,
the lights are mute here. 


Comments

This is lovely.
"Now I know what the sail
feels, the tiller in another's
hand..."
Jee Leong said…
Thanks, Patty!

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Thumboo's "Ulysses by the Merlion"

Steven Cantor's "What Remains: the Life and Work of Sally Mann"

Goh Chok Tong's Visit to FCBC