Cyril Wong Sings "Lay a Garland"

Cyril sent me the link to his recording, and I like it so much that I am posting here his link and comment. Enjoy.
I recorded LAY A GARLAND, an 8-part choral piece that I have loved for a long time. I sang all 8 parts and this was the result. The pitching wavers at parts, so I apologise in advance. But I cannot describe why this work moves me so much.

Just click here.

The lyrics come from the 1610 play The Maid's Tragedy by Beaumont and Fletcher.

Lay a garland on my hearse,
Of the dismal yew,
Maidens, willow branches bear,
Say I died true.

My love was false, but I was firm
From my hour of birth;
Upon my buried body lie
Lightly, gentle earth.

Comments

Anonymous said…
my kids sang this song for their competition in italy last year. brings back good memories. though i must say that i think it's impossible for teenagers to really understand the song, and i think cyril's version works much better.
Jee Leong said…
Hi rui! I'm sure you are right about teenagers not really understanding the lyrics. I guess there is also a certain poignancy in having the younfg sing passionately what they do not comprehend.

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Thumboo's "Ulysses by the Merlion"

Steven Cantor's "What Remains: the Life and Work of Sally Mann"

Goh Chok Tong's Visit to FCBC