Poem: A Lover's Recourse (annulment)

annulation / annulment

The body writhes so deeply in desire’s cave
I revel in abrading skin against the cave.

I see the image of my pain in glittering things,
carry the treasures off and hide them in the cave.

On equatorial beaches that were once a home
I did not build a castle but I dug a cave.

My hands reach out and see nothing in the dark.
I console my heart there is an end to cave.

A valley drops away. A plain levels us all.
I love the echo of my voice in a tall cave.

Then I remember you, your generous mouth, bald head,
and I suffer again the suffering of the cave.

Why does this lover’s song always end with my name?
Why does this man Jee live out his days in a cave?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Thumboo's "Ulysses by the Merlion"

Steven Cantor's "What Remains: the Life and Work of Sally Mann"

Goh Chok Tong's Visit to FCBC