Poem: A Lover's Recourse (identification)

identification / identification

I think I will identify myself as a guest.
An alien is so outlandish. I am your guest.

In the house you describe as a beautiful book
about damn ugly people, I live as Nick Guest.

I ache for class and mourn for Robbie in Atonement.
To Howard’s End I come as Leonard, pity’s guest.

There are house rules for a vacation orgasm.
The mind closes the doors softly like a good guest.

My friend is buying his first house in New Hope.
He has invited me to be his weekend guest.

The good hosts in The Odyssey throw a great feast
while stories are a grateful answer from the guest.

Sometimes Jee is Odysseus, sometimes Penelope.
Homer, if not a home, makes me a host and guest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Thumboo's "Ulysses by the Merlion"

Steven Cantor's "What Remains: the Life and Work of Sally Mann"

Goh Chok Tong's Visit to FCBC