Poem: A Lover's Recourse (monstrous)

My tongue fingers the sharpened knifepoint of my teeth.
They bite off other tongues. They are man-eating teeth.

Love did not give me a vote in my mutant birth.
Behind my tender kisses hide my carving teeth.

The muscle of your jaw cramps when you sing or yawn
because at night, beside a grave, you grind your teeth.

There is always a touch of humor in the monstrous.
There is a bone of laughter held between the teeth.

I am a lover but a poor horseman. I read
somewhere that you can tell a good horse by its teeth.

Many men complimented Jee on his sweet smile.
I don’t trust flattery. My smile shows too much teeth.

I broke my love. Where there were eyes, there are now peepholes.
Your bleeding mouth denounces all my bloody teeth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Thumboo's "Ulysses by the Merlion"

Steven Cantor's "What Remains: the Life and Work of Sally Mann"

Goh Chok Tong's Visit to FCBC